Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Inch by inch...

I am so proud of my sweet angel today!

I was already elated that yesterday she rolled from her back to her tummy and then back again - she hadn't put that together before and had only done a tummy to back roll one time.  And today in her outfit with her stylish boots she looked so grown up.



But this evening while she was doing tummy time, she tucked her knees up under herself and scooted forward about 5 inches!

We cheered and cheered for her, and then tried to make her do it again so we could take a video.  Of course, it was then that she decided to repeatedly roll from her tummy to back as soon as I put her on her tummy so we never did get video footage.  Our loud cheering could have also startled her into immobility...

Later tonight as I did the dishes, it occurred to me what my miracle today is.  And that it has actually been happening every day since she was born.

God is changing my heart through Vallyn.

I have always been someone who liked things to be just so.
Who wasn't necessarily known for her patience.
Who needed things and people to be entertaining.
Who got bored really quickly and moved on to the next thing.
Who didn't get excited about small accomplishments.
Who appreciated and admired physical prowess and athleticism.
And who prized intelligence and quick wit above all else.

And today?  Well, today I got excited about a 5 inch scoot.

Vallyn is teaching me what really matters. 

That the house can be a total mess and it's not the end of the world.
That I can smile for the 10th time that I pick up a toy that fell on the floor.
That I can stare at a tiny human being that is not doing anything except sleeping and all of a sudden 45 minutes have gone by.
That I can wash and make bottle after bottle every day for almost 8 months and still treasure holding my sweet girl and feeding her.
That I can clap and cheer for a roll from back to tummy as loud as if I were at the Superbowl and the Broncos were winning in the 4th quarter with 5 seconds to go, or freak out and post on Facebook because Vallyn stood by herself while holding onto the ottoman for just a little longer than it took to snap a picture.
That true strength is just picking yourself up wherever you fell, dusting yourself off, and forging ahead with a smile (and without complaining about it loudly and repeatedly!).
And that it's possible to learn more from someone who hasn't spoken her first word than from anyone else.

So thank you Vallyn.  And thank you God for Vallyn.  And thank you for all the lessons, even the ones that have been really hard, and even though growing pains are often, well, painful.

Because though she is far from perfect, I prefer the person that I am becoming...

No comments:

Post a Comment